( The following post was originally published in May 2016, But the question of what lies ahead for America still remains.)
As I sit in my “Hamshack” (office) gazing out at a beautiful spring day in the Ozarks, I’m reminded of how fortunate we are as Americans. Then, as my eye is drawn to the ticker of news at the bottom of my TV screen, my pleasant reverie is quickly gone!
Most of the news is so terrible that we become immune to it.
“50 Christians beheaded by ISIS”
“Suicide bomber kills 20”
“Russian fighters buzzing US Navy ships”
“Borders ignored daily by waves of immigrants”
I’m just numb. And that doesn’t even begin to cover the horror of watching our nation being pillaged by self-serving politicians, our Constitution being systematically rewritten, our freedom to live our life as we wish being constantly stripped away if you are a Christian and not gay, our military left a fragmented ghost of itself, and insane environmentalists who think we should go back to a pre-industrial society.
It just goes on and on, ad nauseum!
There is no unbiased news left in this country. Every channel spins… Continue reading
I’ve received a number of emails regarding this terrorist event. While I normally wouldn’t speak about this matter in this blog, my conscience demands otherwise. So for the record, let me state my opinion clearly.
1. This was a horrible and despicable act by a religious fanatic.
2. There were 300 people in that bar and 1 gunman. He could have been easily overpowered if the bar patrons had immediately rushed him. There still would have been a few casualties, but certainly not 100 people shot!
3. Clearly there there is something seriously wrong with the attitude of people in America. Have we already forgotten 9/11? There were 4 planes involved. On 3 of those planes, the passengers passively sat and offered no resistance to the hijackers. All three of those planes hit their targets, causing massive damage and a huge number of casualties. The 4th aircraft, United Airlines Flight 93 went down in a field in Pennsylvania. The passengers fought back and stopped that plane from striking it’s target. They behaved as True American Heroes! They didn’t die on the hijacker’s terms but on their own. For years afterward, Americans were able to hold their heads… Continue reading
Guest blog by Granny O., Michigan
Granny here. I hope you’ve been playing awareness games with your kids and grandkids since my last article, “Granny’s Games For Prepper Kids”.
I can’t stress enough that all of us should be aware of what’s going on around us at all times. This is especially true of children, who tend to ignore anything that doesn’t interest them.
Awareness Away From Home
Today we’re going to extend that awareness away from just the home and go out into public places. I like to start with an outing to a park because children love those. The younger ones can play on the equipment while the older ones race, organize a game, or just talk.
After an hour of playing, I call them over and pepper them with questions. I’ve been observing what was going on in the park so my questions are timely. For example:
- Did you see someone wearing red? Was it a child or a man or a woman?
- How many babies did you see?
- Were there any dogs in the park? What kinds? How many? Did you see the owner?
You get the idea. During this time of questions I let them… Continue reading
How to Teach Alertness Skills by guest blogger, Granny O., Michigan
Granny here. Let me begin by saying that I don’t intend to go over old ground. Every insult that can be thought of has been said about Preppers being a wild-eyed fringe society who tote guns to keep people from stealing their food supplies while training their children to be fearful of zombie apocalypse attacks.
Nothing could be further from the truth! I’m grandmother to several children whose parents are Preppers and even though I say it myself, they’re delightful, normal kids who do none of the above.
In fact, I think they’re the most fortunate children in America because they have wise parents who are training them to be prepared for whatever may come and to be self-reliant. Who could argue with that?
As a former school teacher and elementary school counselor, I can’t resist teaching my grandkids something when they’re with me. But I sugarcoat it in the form of games and they seem to love it and beg to spend the night whenever they get the chance.
I really thought I’d invented this game until that TV… Continue reading
Dumbing Down America
So, another week has gone by. Is it just me or are you noticing that most things are getting more and more surreal?
Weapons for Enemies
Yesterday I watched the President of the United States stand at a podium in Vietnam and announce that America will now sell modern high-tech weapons to a Communist dictatorship where approximately 212,000 US troops were injured and/or killed.
By “sell” I mean he is giving them a basically unlimited line of credit for these weapons. Of course, most of the news channels are blaring away about how wonderful it is!
Predators in Public Bathrooms
Let’s not forget that public bathrooms are now legally open to predators! Plus if our schools don’t allow the predators in their bathrooms, then government is threatening your state, saying “Kiss your federal dollars goodbye.” We sent those federal dollars to Washington in the first place..
For those of you who haven’t already started, it looks like it’s time to dust off the home schooling skills and prepare to be a teacher.
When we lived in Alaska, we home schooled our boys because spending three to four hours a day on school buses seemed unfair… Continue reading