About Ken Porter
This blog is designed to help you realize your dream of self-sufficient living as you prepare for whatever disasters may come.
I’m committed to living a self-sustaining lifestyle which includes living off-grid, raising livestock, gardening, hunting, and fishing. Those are all subjects I’ll be discussing in my blog along with step-by-step details on how to make them a part of your preparations.
My wife, LeaAnn, and I have lived in many places including 15 years in a “bush house” in interior Alaska. While there I designed and built power systems all over Alaska, British Columbia, and The West Coast including installing systems in Barrow and Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, as well as in many remote cabins and lodges and backup systems for businesses, and numerous sailboats and RVs. I have been involved in remote power generation and Renewable Energy for over 35 years. Many of the systems I’ve built have been in continuous operation for over 25 years.
After raising our 5 sons and 3 daughters, we have retired to a small farm in rural southwest Missouri with our 5 dogs, 3 parrots, 1 cat and 2 of our 7 grandchildren. Here we garden as well as raise chickens and rabbits. While our home is connected to the local electric co-op, we have multiple generators, as well as a solar and wind power system to keep us going if needed. We are actively prepping while viewing the current state of our nation with dismay.
- Active amateur radio operator (call ACØML). On almost every day.
- After a stint in the Army, attended college in Texas and spent a few years traveling around the U.S. working in an amazing array of different jobs.
- Worked on offshore tugboats in the Gulf of Mexico, the Caribbean, Prudhoe Bay, the Bering Sea, and the Gulf of Alaska
- Worked on ranches in Texas, Montana, and Wyoming
- Lived on and cruised in sail and power boats on both coasts, the Gulf of Mexico, and the Caribbean
- Active members of our local church and involved in Boy Scouts. Don’t forget to subscribe! Check out our Facebook Page! Thanks For Reading!